Java is the future !: Assigning in Java?

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Assigning in Java?

Question : Say I set int A = int B. When I change A after, it will not change the value of B. But when I set a SomeClass A = SomeClass B, and I change A's contents (like a.cost), it changes B.cost as well. Can someone explain this to me?

I thought Java is assigned by value, not reference?

Answer : Yes, it does - but the value of A is a reference, not a copy of the object itself.
I like to give the following analogy...
Suppose two people both have my address: that's like two variables of type House in Java. Now one of them comes and paints my door red. The second person will still see the red door if they visit:
House jonsHouse = new House(); // Even the variable jonsHouse is only a reference
House firstAddressCopy = jonsHouse; // Just a copy of the reference
House secondAddressCopy = jonsHouse; // Just a copy of the reference

firstAddressCopy.paintDoor(Color.Red);
Color color = secondAddressCopy.getDoorColor(); // Now color will be red
Basically, remember a few rules and things will become clear:
  • The value of an expression in Java is never an object - only ever a reference or a primitive value
  • (Corollary of first point) A variable never holds an object - only ever a reference or a primitive value
  • Assignment (and argument passing) always copies the value, whether that value is a reference or a primitive value
answered by : Jon Skeet

Source : www.stackoverflow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment